Friday, October 1, 2010

....We feel like illegal immigrants....

I put dots around the title because I saw lots of other blog posts with dots around the title
Let me take a moment to explain to you some of the deepest conversations my wife and I have had in our marriage.

When Nessy and I were youngins, we were raised on Cougar Football. Ness went to almost all home games, same season tickets every year, and even painted her face sometimes. My little wife grew up a die hard Cougar fan. I was raised the same way (minus the face painting, thats wierd) Needless to say, we were raised up to bleed blue.

As many of you may know, college football has started up again. Being young and full of life, we have been very excited to watch and keep up-to-date with as much as we can. This season is different than others however. Both of us are attending the University of Utah and feel like we are stuck in an awkward position. With the comments of Max Hall turning up the heat between the Y and the U, it feels like you have to be either a die hard Ute, or a True blue Coug. Speaking for myself, I feel like I am not as die hard of a cougar fan as I once was.
As mentioned before, we are yound and full of life and decided to try something a little crazy. Become a Ute fan. We went and watched the first Utah game over at my sisters, where they are huge Utah fans. We cheered when they scored and got mad when something bad happened just as any other fan would do. However, it felt as if we were betraying something deep within us. The cheers felt more forced then real. We were driving home when the deepest discusion of our marriage happened. We both confessed that we do not think we can become Ute fans. It just doesn't feel right. However we (at least I) feel distanced from the Cougars because we go to the U. With constant hazing from my family about betraying the Y when I transfered to the U, they wont accept me as a Cougar fan.

This is why we fill like illegal immigrants. When an immigrant comes to the US, but holds on to traditions from his former nation, he loses his place in society. He isn't apart of the US, nor his former country. His is in limbo, like Hugo and Ben from Lost. So we came up with a plan...


We are Aggies fans.


To celebrate our move, we are going to the USU vs BYU game tonight with a bunch of friends. I will be buying USU gear to wear. I am greatful for a wife who will let me join in on Utah State and not judging me for never going there. In my heart I did. But in fact, my body was on my mission. I now root for the Arkansas Razorbacks and the Aggies. For those who ask "Who will you root for when BYU plays Utah?" To them I say, My blood is still blue, just not as blue as it used to be. The Cougs will always have a place in my heart. But for now, its the Aggies.


So, wish us luck in our future ventures.


The Gap

4 comments:

  1. You are so cute! And congrats on a win for YOUR team. Love you forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this. THis just made my day!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bee, you are just too funny! That whole thing just made me crack up. And you are always welcome on the cougs side :) PS I liked the Lost reference. I miss Lost a lot. I wish the seasons could go on forever...

    ReplyDelete