Sunday, March 27, 2011

Secret dream

As a little girl, I wanted to grow up and be a lot of different things. When I was younger my career path of choice was leading me to the national soccer team, then a lawyer who studied at Harvard, followed by a mom, intermingled with desires to become a teacher, a writer, and a few other random occupations. All my ambitions were obviously developed by my likes and dislikes at different points of my life.

There was, however one dream of mine that I never let anyone know about. It started when I was 5 years-old on a daddy-daughter date to Capitol Theater. The dress was black with sunflowers, the dinner was Bache, the show was Les Miserables; I felt like royalty that night. During the show I sat on the edge of my seat engulfing every sound I heard and memorizing each image I saw. I fell in love with Les Mis that night, but even more, it became my secret desire to star in a broadway show. Obviously that dream did not come to pass; first, because I can't sing. Second, I can't act or even keep a straight face. It just wasn't in the cards for me. Even though I knew I wasn't going down the broadway path, I secretly wished I was, or at least could just belt out a broadway hit. I can pick up any sport fairly quickly and I always was a decent soccer player, but I was always jealous of anyone who could sing in front of a crowd. So if you are reading this and have that talent, I think you are pretty cool.

Don't worry, I am not bitter that I didn't make it on broadway because Husband let's me perform for him. Lately I have been belting "don't cry for me Argentina," "On my own" (my les Mis classic), and of course, a little Wicked. He tells me I sing well and I would have been a great broadway actress. I like to believe him :). And a random side note, husband and I celebrated our one year mark, boo ya!

Love,
Jenessa

P.S. I just remembered I tried out for my stakes production of Saturday's warrior when I was about 7 and didn't make. Lisa Hilton just had a better voice than me. And she wore a really cool dress that she let me play with sometimes (the cape part could come off). My mom, being the good mother she is still did the show with me after I didn't make "Emily" and we were just part of the choir. I think after that I focused on athletics. Colliding with people or scoring a goal was just a little bit more exciting to me I guess. The end.

2 comments:

  1. This is great. Next time you have a performance for Bradford, let us know. We'll come listen in awe. Happy Anniversary! Did you guys do anything fun?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh geez! Sorry Bradford, I am officially happy that she has someone to sing to. Although I do miss that little number, "don't cry for my Argentina", I liked joining in on that one. But Saturday's Warrior, it is touching to hear the story of why you love it. Still can't stand it though. And never will.
    Love you kids!!

    ReplyDelete